Comments from the author and his trusted readers about sales, selling, marketing and the like.

Monday, May 5, 2008

Persistence without Value

There is a lot of data available for sales people to justify their persistence. Sales trainers quote facts such as: Most sales are made during the fifth or sixth sales call but most sales people give up after three. When sales managers interview they want to hear candidates describe themselves as persistent and determined.

"I never give up."

"I am relentless."

"My persistence is more persistent than your persistence."

But, what is it like to be on the other side of that equation. How does the prospect feel when a sales person keeps coming after them like a bull in the streets Pamplona? Maybe my experience can shed a little light.

I was selling radio advertising in Charlotte for an Oldies station. We did a great job of reaching adults 30-60 years old. Most of our listeners were homeowners in the acquisition stage of life. We knew that they bought furniture, electronics, children's clothing, etc. I was monitoring one of the other stations in town when I heard Eastside Lawn and Patio advertising their outdoor furniture and accessories. I decided to drop in while I was out seeing other customers.

Upon arriving, I took a quick tour around the store to familiarize myself with the merchandise. When a sales person approached, I asked the name of the manager. Bob was the answer and yes he was in charge of making the advertising decisions. While I had a salesperson handy, I confirmed my suspicions about the target market and asked if they were happy with the current advertising on my competitor. The salesperson wasn't sure but Bob was right over there and good luck.

Bob disappeared around a corner before I could get to him and his administrative assistant told me that he was too busy to see me right now but go ahead and drop off any information I would like to leave. I left a basic media kit that described our station and the audience it delivered and left. Later, at the station, I called to speak with Bob so that I could get an appointment. Bob was not available.

Bob wasn't available the day after that or the day after that. The tricks of the trade started to make their appearance. I called early and late hoping to catch Bob answering his own phone. I stopped leaving messages so that it wouldn't appear that I was calling every day. I dropped in at least once a week. Many times, I saw Bob just out of reach but he always instructed the gate keepers to give me a stiff arm in the chest.

Apparently, Bob just didn't get that I could help him grow his business. I knew it as well as I knew anything. He was a qualified prospect that was already convinced that radio advertising worked. All of my training told me that I must never give up on this guy.

Then, one day Bob is on the showroom floor and he is all alone. Before he knew what was happening, I had snuck up on him, "Hi, Bob, Tim Rohrer with Magic 96 radio. I would love to speak with you about ways that we can help your business grow."

I couldn't believe it! Bob was inviting me back to his office. This was it. I was going to tell Bob all about my station and the dozens of clients that we had helped achieve their marketing goals. I would do a needs analysis and customize a program for Eastside Lawn and Patio! I sit down where Bob indicates and he says,

"You know, you're getting to be a real pain in the ass."

Uh, this wasn't going as I envisioned.

Back at the station, Chuck told me that it was a good thing that the prospect called me a pain in the ass. But, even then, I knew it wasn't good. Unfortunately, I didn't know exactly why until many years later.

Prospects don't always want or need to change vendors. A qualified prospect may meet your criteria, but your company may not meet theirs. That is true whether you are selling advertising or furniture or envelopes or computer networks. When a prospect perceives no reason to choose you, it means that you have not established the value of your product or service.

While it doesn't feel good to admit it, persistence without value equals "pain in the ass".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We still have to applaud your tenacity. One idea might have been to ask him a pointed and gutsy question, like: If I can prove to you in X week(s) that you can grow your business by advertising on my station, would you be interested?